Financial Aid Programs

NAU recognizes that many students would be unable to pursue their educational goals without financial assistance. Students may be eligible for financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, work-study, and low-interest loan programs through federal, state and local sources.

Federal Pell Grants

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. The federal government determines eligibility. Pell Grant awards for the 2018-2019 award year ranges from $634 to 6095.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

The FSEOG program is designed to assist undergraduate students with an exceptional financial need. First priority is given to Federal Pell Grant recipients. National American University FSEOG awards range from $750 to $1000 per quarter. Amounts are limited, and early application is important.

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with a financial need, to assist them with their educational expenses. Students may work up to 20 hours per week while the university is in session.

The National American University Financial Services Office assists students with obtaining community service FWS positions. Funds are limited; therefore, early application is important.

Federal Direct Loan Programs

Loans made through these programs are referred to as Direct Student Loans. The federal government provides funds and guarantees these student loans. Direct Student Loans include subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS). Students and parents repay these loans to the servicer assigned by the federal government.

Direct Stafford Loans

Direct Stafford Loans are for undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree students. You must be attending as at least a half-time student to be eligible for a Direct Stafford Loan.

There are two types of Direct Stafford Loans: subsidized and unsubsidized. You must have financial need to receive a Subsidized Stafford Loan. Financial need is not a requirement to obtain an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. The U.S. Department of Education will pay the interest that accrues on Subsidized Stafford Loans while the student is in school at least half time and during times of authorized deferment. The U.S. Department of Education does not pay the interest during the grace period, or during times of forbearance or repayment.

Annual and Aggregate (Program) Limits for Direct Subsidized (SUB) and Unsubsidized (UNSUB) Stafford Loans

Academic Level
Dependent Limits Independent Limits
Sub Unsub Sub Unsub
1st year $3,500 $2,000 $3,500 $6,000
2nd year $4,500 $2,000 $4,500 $6,000
3rd and up $5,500 $2,000 $5,500 $7,000
Master’s and Doctoral N/A N/A N/A $20,500
Aggregate Undergraduate (Subsidized Loan Included) $31,000 (no more than $23,000 may be Subsidized) $57,500 (no more than $23,000 may be Subsidized)
Aggregate Master’s and Doctoral (Subsidized and Undergraduate Loan Included) N/A N/A $138,500 (no more than $65,500 may be Subsidized)

Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Direct PLUS loans are for parents to borrow to help pay for their dependent child's education. The Direct PLUS loan provides additional funds for education expenses. Direct PLUS loans enable parents with good credit histories to borrow for each child who is enrolled at least half-time. The annual loan limit is the student's cost of education minus any estimated financial aid received. The U.S. Department of Education will at no time pay the interest that accrues on Direct PLUS loans.

For information about federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education, visit


The following sites are free scholarship searches:

Additional scholarship information, and how to apply for scholarships, can be found under the Research tab of the NAU Writing Center and at

Veterans Administration (VA)

Veterans and/or dependents of veterans who are disabled or deceased may qualify for educational financial assistance through the Veterans Administration. Since the regulations regarding eligibility are quite extensive and many times need interpretation, the student is referred to the Veterans Administration Center. State Veterans Administration Office locations may be found at Or you may call 1-888-442-4551 or contact your local Veterans Service Organization.

Notice to Military Service Members, Veterans, and Dependents using VA Benefits: Some VA educational programs limit the total amount of financial benefits a student may apply toward tuition, which may include cash, scholarships, and other forms of financial aid.  For more information please contact or call (877) 500-1310.

Other State and Federal Programs

Benefits may be available through such government programs as State Trade Adjustment Act, Minnesota State Grant Program (MSGP), Minnesota Child Care Grant (MCCG), Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), state vocational rehabilitation services (for mobility, hearing, and/or visually impaired), and the Military or Federal Tuition Assistance Programs.